Sunday 30 September 2007

Scrap unnecessary widgets.

I don't like duplicating functionality. I don't need hundreds of ways to resize text. In fact, Command+ or Command- is all I need. Don't want a toolbar for it, and don't need a web application to implement text resize widgets.

I hate interface clutter. If it's not going to be used often, why put it there at all? You can instead use the space to show me something useful.

Moreover, if web applications are essentially duplicating functionality that is built into the browser, our users will expect to see them there. If you design a site with these widgets, your users will expect to see them on all of your sites. Consistency is a good thing.

Search widgets are useful. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say that search widgets are really, the only useful widget on your site. RSS doesn't count. Weather, stocks, currency - you don't need them everywhere. You just need them in one place. I go to XE.com for my currency converter. BBC for weather. I don't need hundreds of other sites telling me the same thing.

I love simple, easy to use, to the point interfaces. Don't confuse me with all these unnecessary things - or I'm gone.

(This is a response to 456 Berea Street's article)

No comments: