Wednesday 31 October 2007

Let them eat cake.

It amazes me somewhat that when a good solution does crop up, it's not implemented across websites that should be using it.

One of my pet peeves about some websites is that their articles spread over a number of pages - I know why this is, it's to break up the content into easily manageable chunks - like what is done with printed media. But folks, this is the web. I don't want to have to click 10 times just to read an article - that's 10 times I have to download the associated banners. Straightforward printing is also near impossible on these multipage articles - and 'print-friendly' pages are worthless when we have CSS to provide that functionality.

So why aren't these sites providing the content in one page and breaking it up using javascript? It's perfectly accessible, it's quick and printer-friendly pages are a thing of the past. It still amazes me that 3 years after the article was written, we have webmasters keen to spread content out over multiple pages - especially as broadband connections have become more ubiquitous.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The real reason, though, is to generate multiple page views and thus multiply the number of ad banner views. It's the quintessential example of a business decision trampling over a user experience decision (and justifiably, in many cases).

Ben said...

I didn't think of it like that, good point. I guess I'm more concerned about what the individual's experience is and how it can be made better.